Saturday, January 31, 2015

Thirty-Third

Yet another stream of consciousness post. I haven't posted on my blog for a long time, mostly because I have lacked inspiration. That isn't the only reason, however. As I build my writing portfolio, I know I will be making the move to Wordpress as soon as I put aside enough money to pay the web designer. It will be soon, as the designer that I have chosen only charges around $150 for a Wordpress site. I am excited. My current position as senior contractor for an e-startup is going along swimmingly, however, I know that eventually the work they have for me will dry up. I need to be on the lookout for other positions if I am to continue to provide for my family.

I had a thought today. As I lay in bed in my husband's arms this morning, I began to ponder the most recent episode of Reign. I thought of Catherine, and how she raged at Diane de Poitiers after she discovered the true nature of her twins' death so many years before. I thought of Catherine, and I wondered how she filled her days. Surely her scheming didn't fill every hour of the day. Did Catherine enjoy reading? It should be noted that I'm talking about the character of Catherine, not the historical figure. Did she, like the characters in Downton Abbey, spend hours staring out the window, thinking about their day and what they needed to accomplish in the days to come?

I pondered that perhaps that is where the wisdom of days gone by came from. Before the Age of Distractions, before Facebook and smartphones and hundreds of channels on TV, people had more time to think. They would spend their time pondering their decisions, their choices, their opportunities, and in many cases it was only after hours of meditation on the subject that they came to any solid decision. Time was measured differently back then. Today, we fill our days with so much distraction, we hardly get anything done. But back then, they had fewer, different distractions, and so they accomplished much.

I would like to unplug. However, my internet addiction and my situation in which I am surrounded by family who desires my attention keep me from having a moment's peace to think. Even if I packed up my computer, or put a lock on it to keep me from using it all hours of the day, I would not be able to think as well as I would like.

Perhaps when we are finally situated in our apartment in California, with the boxes unpacked and everything in order, we will finally be able to come to some sort of agreement in which I am allowed my musings with minimal distractions.

Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment